Downey Unified School District
E.W. Ward Elementary School
“Understand What You Read, Show What You Know”
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to Ward Elementary School for the 2017-2018 school year. The Ward School staff and I hope that you and your family had a wonderful, restful summer and are looking forward to this school year as much as we are. Our school hours are as follows:
*Note change in start/dismissal time
Office hours are 7:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Registration hours are from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. All parents/guardians/persons authorized by a parent to pick up a child, MUST SHOW PROPER IDENTIFICATION (A PICTURE I.D.).
EVERY THURSDAY, beginning on August 17 through the end of school, all first, second and third grade
students will be dismissed at 1:25 p.m. Starting on Thursday, August 31, all TK/Kindergarten students will be dismissed at 1:15 p.m. Teachers will use this time for planning and preparing for students. There is no supervision before 7:45 a.m. There is no supervision for students after school so please be sure to pick your child up or make arrangements with someone else to pick him/her up at dismissal time each day. Students are to leave to go home immediately after their dismissal time. Dismissed students may not wait in front of the school or on campus for a brother, sister, relative or friend.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
Breakfast will be served from 7:30-8:05 a.m. each morning. The prices for the cafeteria for this year are as follows: •Student Breakfast = Free •Student Lunch = $2.00 •Milk/Juice = 50¢
Your child may purchase a hot lunch in our school cafeteria. If your child brings his/her lunch, please have his/her name and room number written on the sack or lunch box to prevent it from being lost. Please have your child bring his/her lunch with them in the morning when they go to school. DO NOT pack sodas for your child’s lunch. Sodas are not allowed in the cafeteria.
We encourage you to place some money in your child’s cafeteria lunch account in the event that they need a lunch during the school day. Lunch applications are available at the school cafeteria. Please call the food services office at (562) 469-6671 if you would like one mailed to you.
PARENT Q CONNECTION
If parents would like computer access to their child’s attendance, etc., they can download and complete the
Q ParentConnect Request Form at www.dusd.net/parent-connection. The completed form is to be returned to the school office. Once returned, parents will be set up in the Q system.
Bus transportation for students will be provided again on a FEE BASIS. The bus stops will remain the same as last year. A complete copy of our transportation schedule is available in the school office along with information on how to obtain bus transportation.
TK/Kindergarten (M, T, W, F) 8:05 a.m. – 2:10 p.m.
Grades 1st – 3rd (M, T, W, F) 8:15 a.m. – 2:20 p.m.
TK/Kindergarten (Every Thursday) 8:05 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Grades 1st – 3rd (Every Thursday) 8:15 a.m. – 1:25 p.m.
TK/Kindergarten (Minimum Day) 8:05 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Grades 1st – 3rd (Minimum Day) 8:15 a.m. – 11:40 a.m.
- Your child’s class/teacher is considered temporary at this time and is subject to change if Ward experiences an increase or decrease in enrollment the first few weeks of school.
- Please complete the “EMERGENCY DATA” and “SCHOOL DISASTER PREPAREDNESS STUDENT RELEASE” cards. Return them tomorrow with your child. This information is necessary and extremely important. In an emergency, such as an earthquake, your child will be released only to persons listed on the “School Disaster Preparedness Student Release” form.
- Children in grades 3 only may ride their bikes to school. Be sure that they have a helmet for safety and a bicycle lock so they can secure their bikes to the bike racks. Please review bike safety rules with your child. Skateboards, scooters, skates/rollerblades and skate shoes (shoes with roller wheels/wheels taken out) WILL NOT be allowed at school for any age child.
- When your child is absent from school, please call our attendance line at (562) 904-3591. Whenever your child is late to school, please have him/her go to the office for a tardy pass. It is important that your child be at school on time so he/she will not miss any instruction. Please notify the office if your child has a communicable disease such as chicken pox, head lice, pink eye, impetigo, etc.
- Throughout the year at Ward we will be filming and taking various pictures of programs and activities which involve students and staff. The filming/pictures is for the purpose of fundraising or sharing our programs and activities with the students, parents, staff and community. If you have any objections to your child being filmed, please send a note to the office.
- Under BP/AR 1120, the Downey Unified School District has become a “Tobacco-Free Environment” effective July 1, 1995. This prohibits possession of tobacco products and/or smoking on ALL district sites and in all district vehicles. For the health of our students/staff, we are proud to say that Ward has been a smoke free environment since September 1994.
- Under BP/AR 3133, it shall be the policy of the Board of Education to encourage assignment of homework beyond the regular school day. Homework assignments should not exceed an average total of 20-30 minutes, four nights a week, for students in grades K-3.
- Sexual harassment is prohibited by the Downey Unified School District. Sexual Harassment is unwelcome verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature which is severe enough to create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive educational environment. Incidents of sexual harassment will be reported to the principal. Sexual harassment is punishable by suspension or expulsion.
- Ward School is not responsible for any lost or stolen cell phones that are brought to school. Cell phones are to remain in backpacks and turned off during the instructional day. If the cell phone rings or is used during the instructional day the student’s cell phone will be given to the office and parents will be contacted. The student may not be allowed to bring a cell phone to school if the cell phone continues to cause a disruption.
- The Downey Unified School District’s Dress Code policy will be enforced at all times. Please refer to the Parent- Student Guide. Students should be dressed and groomed in a manner that will not interfere with the educational program at Ward.
- Please read all papers that are enclosed in your student’s first day packet, including the Parent-Student Guide, Title 1 Home Compact and School-Wide Parental Involvement Policy and Ward School’s Discipline Policy.
Although not required, we recommend that students have a book bag or backpack (clearly marked with the student’s name) for carrying books, lunch and homework papers.
Textbooks and other supplies are provided to each child in the school. Parents may assist the school by purchasing these supplies for your child. If you are able, please send the following with your child the first day of school. Donated school items become community property from which all students benefit.
Classroom Party Guidelines
- Classroom parties are limited to two during the year and are to be held within one hour. (We have one party before winter break and one party before spring break.)
- All classroom parties are to be held on campus.
- Activities that culminate a unit of study or are part of a positive discipline plan are consideredinstructional rather than classroom parties.
- Other social parties (birthday, end of year, etc.,) during school hours are NOT allowed.Treats, cupcakes, punch, candy, etc., are NOT to be sent or brought to school for these events.
“Ward Campus Safety Rules”
- All gates will be locked during school hours to protect our children.
- If a parent/adult needs to be on campus during the school day, please come to the office, sign in, andwear a badge so that you are easily identified by our staff and students as a visitor. This will help toensure that we do not have unauthorized adults on campus.
- Parents will not be allowed to stand in the hallways, on the playground, or on the blacktop areas with their children before school. This makes supervision very difficult for teachers on supervision duty.
- If a parent needs to speak with a teacher before school, please go to the school office and have one of the employees in the office locate the teacher to see if he/she is available or if an appointment needs to be scheduled.
- All students are to be picked up at their designated dismissal time. Please note, there is no supervision for your child if they are left longer than fifteen minutes after dismissal.
- If a parent wishes to have lunch with their child, they must check their child out through the office.We feel confident that you will agree that these preventative measures are worth adhering to in order to provide a safe and secure campus for our children and staff. Please be assured, we are not discouraging our parents from being an active part of our school program. We encourage you to volunteer and learn as much as possible about our many wonderful programs and assist children whenever you can. Our intent is simply to maintain a safe and secure campus for our students.Thank you for helping us make Ward Elementary School a learning environment where children feel safe and protected.
IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Please complete the “EMERGENCY DATA” and “SCHOOL DISASTER PREPAREDNESS STUDENT RELEASE” cards. Return them tomorrow with your child. This information is necessary and extremely important. In an emergency, such as an earthquake, your child will be released only to persons listed on the “School Disaster Preparedness Student Release” form.
2. Please also read the information on Student Accident Insurance. We encourage you to take part in this important program for your child, as the District does not have insurance to cover student accidents.
3. Bus transportation for students will be provided on a FEE BASIS. A complete copy of our transportation schedule is available in the school office along with information on how to obtain a bus pass.
4. For safety reasons, please park your car and walk to the school to pick up your child at dismissal each day. Do not stop, drop off, or pick-up students in the “Red”. On rainy days the gate will open at 2:10, and you may walk to the classroom to pick-up your child. Otherwise, children will wait in the hallway in front of the school.
5. Your child’s class placement is considered temporary at this time, and is subject to change if Ward experiences an increase or decrease in enrollment during the first few weeks of school.
6. Only 3rd grade students may ride their bikes to school. Students must have a helmet and a bicycle lock. Please review bike safety rules with your child. Skateboards, scooters, and skates are NOT allowed at school any age child.
7. When your child is absent from school, please call our school attendance line at (562) 904-3591. Whenever your child is late to school, he/she must go to the school office for a tardy pass. It is important that your child arrives to school on time so he/she will not lose instructional time. Please notify the office when your child has a communicable disease such as chicken pox, head lice, rashes with fever, pinkeye, impetigo, etc.
8. Your child may purchase a hot lunch in our school cafeteria for $1.75. If you plan to have your child eat regularly in our cafeteria, you may want to purchase lunch on a monthly basis. This monthly lunch ticket may be purchased from the cafeteria manager prior to 8:15 a.m. The monthly ticket prevents lost or forgotten lunch money. If your child brings his/her lunch, please have his/her name and room number written on the sack or lunch box to prevent it from being lost. We ask that you DO NOT pack canned sodas for your child’s lunch. Milk or juice can be purchased for $.50 at lunch. Lunch applications are available at the school cafeteria. Please call the food services office at (562) 469-6671 if you would like one mailed to you.
9. Please mark all of your child’s belongings and clothing. We have a “Lost and Found” in our cafeteria where children’s belongings left at school are collected. Children are not allowed to bring toys, balls, or bats to school.
10. Throughout the year at Ward Elementary School, we will be filming various programs and activities which involve students and staff. The filming is for the purpose of sharing our programs and activities with the students, parents, and staff. If you have any reservations or objections to your child being filmed, please send a note to the office.
11. The Downey Unified School District prohibits possession of tobacco products and/or smoking on ALL district sites and in all district vehicles. We are proud to say that Ward Elementary School has been a smoke free environment since September, 1994.
12. Ward Elementary School occasionally gets offers from various organizations in Downey who want to do something special for children and their families such as toys or food at the holidays. If for any reason you would not want your child’s name and address given to such an organization, please indicate this in writing to the principal.
13. All students are expected to follow the district Dress and Grooming regulations with the following guidelines.
*All clothes must be neat, clean, in good repair, and be an appropriate size.
*Shoes must be appropriate for playground and physical education activities.
*Sandals must have heel straps.
* “Tank tops” or bare midriff shirts are not permitted.
14. Ward Elementary School follows the CHARACTER COUNTS Program that enables students and adults to understand, care about, and act on core ethical values such as fairness, responsibility, and trustworthiness. Each classroom focuses on one of these each month.
Donations (School Supplies)
Textbooks and supplies are provided to each child in the school. Parents may assist the school by donating these items. Please place student’s name on everything.
We recommend that students have a book bag or backpack (clearly marked inside with the student’s name) for carrying books, lunches and homework papers.
Please be sure to check with your child throughout the year to see if any of these items need to be replaced.
Thank you very much for your assistance and support.
Welcome back to school! We are very excited about all the wonderful things that will be happening at Ward Elementary School this year.
If possible, please send the following with your child the first week of school.