Our goal is to assist the District’s overall educational process at all times, understand all conditions, and to ensure a constant supply of goods and services necessary to support all school sites and departments. It is also the department’s goal to give prime consideration to the District’s best interests, while maintaining fair, courteous and ethical relationships with all of our suppliers. Suppliers interested in being considered for a quote and/or bid opportunities with the Downey Unified School District may click here to be directed to the supplier application page.
The Purchasing Department is responsible for purchasing all materials, equipment, supplies and services for the District. The Warehouse is responsible for the receipt, inspection, storage, inventory control, shipping and receiving functions for the District. The Mail Room is responsibile for all District business-related U.S. Mail, Express Mail, UPS and District Inter-Office mail. The Records Area is responsible for the physical and electronic management of records and dlocuments, its retention, and eventual destruction of documents in accordance with State and Education Code rules.
The responsibility for purchasing materials and services for the District is centralized in the Purchasing Department. In accordance with State law, the Board of Education maintains the final responsibility for all purchases and contracts, and this responsibility cannont be delegated. As a result, all transactions between the District and any other entity or person involving the transfer of property or rendering of services, including purchase orders, contracts and agreements, are subject to approval or ratification by the Board of Education. The Director of Purchasing shall ensure that appropriate purchasing regulations and procedures are established and followed. All District purchasing transactions shall be conducted in an ethical, efficient, and business-like manner, and shall be based upon the highest standards of fairness, honesty and integrity.
The Purchasing Department is responsibile for providing purchasing and contracting services to the District’s sites and departments. The primary elements of this service can be summarized as follows:
- Conduct purchasing transactions in accordance with established Board of Education policies and consistent with all State and Federal laws.
- Conduct competetive bidding by means of advertised bids, written quotations, and oral price quotations in compliance with Board Policy, Administrative Regulations and/or State amd Federal laws.
- Submit listings of all purchase orders written for ratification and /or approval by the Board of Education.
- Conduct, supervise, and coordinate all purchase transactions for the schools and operating departments of the District from those sources able to offer the best prices consistent with quality, delivery, and service.
- Maintain sound business management principles and efficient office procedures, reports, records, and systems for the proper conduct of the department.
- Prepare and maintain an up-to-date stock catalog organized in accordance with principles of simplification and standardization.
- Act as a center of information on sources for services, equipment, and supplies used by the District.
- Maintain and disseminate current trade catalogs to all schools and departments as needed and/or requested.
- Establish and maintain a system of inventory control to account for available equipment and supplies to ensure that sufficient materials are on hand and that equipment is properly identified and insured.
- Establish a purchasing calendar to consolidate the ordering of seasonal items and seek price benefits through proper timing and quantity of purchasing.
- Handle the disposal of all surplus, obsolete, or scrap materials and District records as authorized and approved by the Board of Education.
- Ensure that items received are as ordered relative to quantity, quality, brand, and price.
- Ensure that all orders are placed on the basis of quality, price, and delivery with no favoritism extended to any vendor.
- Ensure that all vendors and contractors comply with the Immigration and Reform and COntrol Act of 1986 and are Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employers.
District personnel may log in here to be directed to additional purchasing-related resources. A user name and password are required for entry beyond this point. Questions regarding the Purchasing Department may be directed to any of the staff members on the staff page.