College and Career Calendar
Career Specialists may assist your student with individual College and Career planning on a one-on-one basis. Parents are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment.
|Career Tech||E-mail Address||Phone Ext|
|Mrs. Tina Camposemail@example.com||5546|
|Mrs. Maria Lopezfirstname.lastname@example.org||5514|
|Ms. Lori Romanemail@example.com||5591|
Location: Room A-201 (right next to the Annex upstairs)
- Scholarships: Current list of national based scholarships are available in the Career Center. Note: Not to be confused with the Local scholarship-this has its own application/webpage
- College Entrance exams: SAT, ACT, and PSAT
- Monthly College/University visits Downey HS to answer questions regarding admissions etc…
- One-on-One Advisement regarding the College application process.
- FAFSA information and important dates to apply for financial aid.
- Eureka: Computerized guidance database to match skills to Career options and to complete Career Assessments and Career Exploration Projects packets.
- Naviance is a Career planning website personalized to each student at Downey HS, providing Career Planning, Assessments, College searches and Comparisons. College alert system to notify students of colleges matching their interests visiting DHS.
- ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery-detail career assessment sponsored by the military usually administer each year on campus.
- CTE class information on how to register for CTE classes and so much more!
- Work Permits available upon requests to our students ages 13-17
College and Career News
Senior Scholarships! Scholarships are loaded in your Naviance Account. Need help stop by the College Center A201 for one-on-one assistance. The California State PTA Scholarship deadline is: Feb 1st. the Stauffer Community College Scholarship Deadline: Feb 16th, The Ed Di Loreto Essay Scholarship is Deadline: Feb 23 this requires a 1 page essay and Downey Federal Credit Union is Deadline: Feb 23 with the entire application all online!!! Questions stop by the College Career Center A201.
Summer Math and Science Honors (SMASH) Program UCLA
Free of Cost College Prep Program for underrepresented communities.
Only High School 9th grade students interested in STEM are eligible to apply!
Application Deadline: March 1st, 2018
Stop by the College Career Center A201 for full details & flyer
2018 Student Speaker Contest Sponsored by Lions Club
“Integrity and Civility Play What Role in Today’s Society?”
Lions Club will be holding the Annual Student Speakers Contest on:
Thursday, JAN 25, 2018 Location: US Bank 8444 Florence Ave. Downey
You must contact Joanna Peterson to register for participation at 323-356-6690 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Topic: “Integrity and Civility Play What Role in Today’s Society?”
There is no cost for participation.
Participating student must write their own speech on the subject given.
Open to all students in grades 9 thru 12 in any school, private, home schooled or independent study.
LIMITATIONS: Students entering the contest shall prepare a talk to be as close as possible to, but not over, ten minutes, nor less than five minutes delivery time.
At this local level contest, note cards are acceptable.
DRESS CODE: No student shall wear their school logo, uniforms NOT PERMITTED
or any method of personal identification.
*Presentation must be in English.
*Props Not Allowed.
*Watches or electronic devices of any kind shall not be worn or used by the contestants during the contest.
Parents and students please view the events calendar on our webpage for the many College and University visits at Downey HS on a monthly basis! Stop by the College Career Ctr. A201 for an updated calendar of events. We hope to see you at the many college presentations happening here at Downey High! Topics will include application/admissions process, financial aid, athletics and personal statement Q’s and so much more. You can have your college Q’s answered by a college admissions counselor from the college of your dreams-hope you will plan to join us!