To report an absence, call (562) 869-7301 x5530 (24 hrs)
Reporting an Absence
The attendance office can no longer accept notes from parents or guardians for full day absences. All absences must be reported by telephone by a parent or guardian on the first day of the absence. Parents must provide the following information:
- Student name
- Student ID #
- Reason for absence
- Date(s) of absence
If your student is absent 3 or more days in a row, you will need to provide a doctor’s note.
Punctuality is important for students to learn so they may achieve their greatest academic potential. It is important for students to understand that tardiness to class is unacceptable. Therefore, the students, staff, and parents of Downey High School have implemented the following Tardy Sweep Policy:
- Students are allowed 3 notes or phone calls each semester stating why the student is late. Phone calls must be received before the student arrives to school.
When the tardy bell rings, all teachers will lock their doors. Doors will remain locked for ten minutes. Any students arriving late will be sent to tardy sweep. All students outside of class without a pass will be directed to Tardy Sweep where they will remain the entire period. When students arrive to Tardy Sweep, the following will happen:
- Students will be required to sign in with their ID number
- Students will be required to complete an assignment
- Students will not be allowed to talk to do class work
- Student will be assigned other tasks as necessary