Downey Unified is very proud of its’ high student attendance rates. We strive to help get our students to school and work hard to eliminate obstacles that keep our students from coming to school. The following are just a few ways in which we reach out to our families regarding attendance:
- Model SARB Program
- TLC Family Resource Center
- Abolish Chronic Truancy Program (through L.A. County District Attorney’s Office)
- Saturday Attendance Recovery Program
- Attendance recognition/assemblies
Regardless, there is always room for improvement and this September we plan to join the county-wide “I’m In” attendance awareness campaign to inform and engage the community regarding the importance of good school attendance.
The Los Angeles County School Attendance Task Force has announced that September has been designated as “School Attendance Month” by the County Board of Supervisors and the City of Los Angeles. The goal is to bring awareness to the important issue of school attendance county-wide.
They are asking school districts to pledge commitment, saying “I’m In”, to the observance of “School Attendance Month”. The “I’m In” slogan is the official branding of the county-wide School Attendance Month. It reflects the goals for the campaign for all school districts and students in L.A. County to embrace the message of “I’m In”… to School!
National research shows that student attendance:
- is a strong predictor of academic performance in K-12;
- is a strong predictor of on-time graduation;
- is an indication of individual students’ physical and mental health;
- is a reflection of school culture, expectations, and a safe and welcoming environment;
- greatly impacts school and district budgets, with losses in ADA revenue.
This September, Downey Unified will officially pledge, recognize, and support the Los Angeles County-wide recognition of September as “School Attendance Month” and the “I’m In” Campaign. The “I’m In” focus greatly matches and assists our efforts to reach a 93.5% graduation rate established as a 2013-14 Board Goal.